Effective from August 15, 2023, a new policy for a 3-month multiple entry e-visa has been approved.
Vietnam is a country that offers a wealth of cultural and natural attractions, attracting visitors from all over the world. As the economy and tourism industry continue to grow, the frequency of foreigners entering and exiting Vietnam has significantly increased. To cater to this demand, the government has introduced the concept of a multiple entry visa, allowing individuals to enter and exit the country an unlimited number of times within a specific period.
Table of Contents
What is a Vietnam Multiple Entry Visa?
A Vietnam multiple entry visa allows individuals to enter and exit Vietnam an unlimited number of times within a specific period, usually up to one year. This type of visa is beneficial for individuals who frequently travel to Vietnam for business, tourism, or other purposes. With a multiple entry visa, one can visit Vietnam as many times as desired during the visa’s validity period, eliminating the need to apply for a new visa each time and saving time and money.
The introduction of multiple entry visas in Vietnam has brought several advantages for travelers:
- Unlimited Entry/Exit: A multiple entry visa allows foreigners to enter and exit Vietnam as many times as desired until the visa expires, without the need for a new visa. This flexibility is particularly useful for individuals who frequently travel to Vietnam for business or leisure purposes.
- Time and Cost Savings: With a multiple entry visa, travelers can save time and money by avoiding the hassle of applying for a new visa each time they enter Vietnam. This is especially beneficial for individuals who need to make multiple trips to Vietnam within a short period.
- Convenience: Having a multiple entry visa provides convenience and peace of mind for travelers. There is no need to worry about visa expiration or the need to apply for a new visa while in Vietnam. This allows for a smoother and more enjoyable travel experienc
Different Types of Multiple Entry Visas
Multiple entry visas in Vietnam are categorized as follows:
- One-Year Multiple Entry Visa (for US Passport Holders): This type of visa is specifically designed for US passport holders and is usually granted for business purposes. It allows individuals to enter and exit Vietnam an unlimited number of times within a one-year period.
- Five-Year Multiple Entry Visa (for Spouse Visa Exemption): The five-year multiple entry visa is available for individuals who are married to a Vietnamese citizen or hold a visa exemption certificate. It allows individuals to enter and exit Vietnam an unlimited number of times within a five-year period.
- Unlimited Entry/Exit Within the Validity Period: This category of multiple entry visa offers travelers the freedom to enter and exit Vietnam as many times as they want within the validity period. The cost and duration of this visa may vary depending on the individual’s nationality and purpose of travel.
- Cost of Multiple Entry Visas: The cost of multiple entry visas in Vietnam ranges from $50 to $135, depending on the type of visa and the nationality of the individual. It is important to note that the visa fees may change periodically, and it is recommended to check the latest information before applying.
How to Obtain a Multiple Entry Visa?
The process of obtaining a multiple entry visa for Vietnam involves different methods, depending on the individual’s circumstances:
- Visa at Local Embassy: This method requires visiting the local embassy or consulate of Vietnam in your residing country. The individual needs to prepare the required documents such as a visa application form, a valid original passport, photos, and an introduction letter from a Vietnamese enterprise or agency (for business visas). The documents are submitted, and the visa and original passport are returned either in person or by post after paying the fee at the embassy office. It is important to note that the process and required documents may vary depending on the country, so it is advisable to contact the embassy of Vietnam in your residing country for more information.
- Visa on Arrival: The visa-on-arrival method is suitable for foreigners who enter Vietnam by air through one of the eight designated airports. The individual needs to apply for a pre-approved letter through a visa agency, which is granted by the Vietnam Immigration Department. Upon arrival at the Vietnam airport, presenting the pre-approved visa letter, a visa application form, a valid passport, and two passport-sized photos, and paying the stamping fee at the Immigration Counter/Visa on Arrival counter will result in obtaining a multiple entry visa.
- E-Visa: For the convenience of foreigners, the government of Vietnam is considering extending the validity of the Vietnam e-visa from 30 days to 90 days and allowing multiple entries instead of single entry. This program is expected to be valid from August 2023, providing an easy and online method to obtain a Vietnam multiple entry visa. The details and requirements for the e-visa program are yet to be finalized, and it is recommended to check the latest information on the official website of the Vietnam Immigration Department.
Important Points to Note
There are a few important points to consider when applying for a multiple entry visa in Vietnam:
- Exit and Re-entry: A multiple entry visa allows individuals to exit and re-enter Vietnam through any port. This provides flexibility for travelers who may have different itineraries or travel plans.
- Duration of Stay: Each entry in Vietnam allows a maximum stay of 90 days, regardless of the visa’s validity period. After 90 days, individuals must exit and re-enter Vietnam to reset the maximum stay period.
- Eligibility for One-Year Multiple Entry Visa: The one-year multiple entry visa is currently available only for US passport holders and for business purposes. Other nationalities can apply for shorter-duration visas and extend them later if needed.
- E-Visa Under Proposal: The multiple entry e-visa program is currently under proposal and expected to be valid from May 2023. Further details and requirements will be announced by the Vietnam Immigration Department closer to the implementation date.
- Passport Validity: To apply for a one-year multiple entry visa, the original passport must have at least one year of validity. It is important to ensure that your passport meets this requirement before applying for the visa.
- UK Passport Holders: UK passport holders are currently not eligible for a one-year multiple entry visa, with the maximum duration being six months unless they qualify for the five-year visa exemption certificate. It is advisable for UK travelers to check the latest visa requirements and options before planning their trip to Vietnam.
A Vietnam multiple entry visa is a convenient option for individuals who frequently travel to Vietnam for business, tourism, or other purposes. With the flexibility to enter and exit the country an unlimited number of times within a specific period, travelers can save time and money by eliminating the need to apply for a new visa each time. The introduction of a 3-month multiple entry e-visa from August 2023 further enhances the convenience and accessibility of multiple entry visas in Vietnam. Whether you are planning a short visit or a longer stay, a multiple entry visa allows you to explore the wonders of Vietnam at your own pace. For more information and assistance in obtaining a multiple entry visa, it is recommended to contact a professional immigration consultancy such as Visaonlinevietnam, which has a wealth of experience in assisting travelers with their visa needs.